Saturday, December 13, 2014

Spread the Warmth Gift Idea #7 – Alexander Valley Vineyards Wine

AVV Chardonnay and Gerwurz

Having Fun at AVV!!!
Edible Skinny Loves Alexander Valley Vineyards in so many ways!

Earlier this year we were able to experience their wines at their rustic Sonoma based tasting room, hike their lush grounds, and a spend a night on their estate (in an 18th century schoolhouse no less!!!) as part of our Vine to Vino Tour!  It was an amazing experience where we got to see every bit of their extensive dedication to winemaking!

Alexander Valley Vineyards is also one of the most Do-Gooder wineries we know!  They were super quick to donate to Pin-Ups for Vets “Evening with Bettie Page” event held a few weeks ago at the Creast Theater in Westwood! 

The Schoolhouse!!!
But besides the experiences Edible Skinny has had with Alexander Valley Vineyards the company, we’ve mostly enjoyed our experiences with their wine!  Of all our touring of the Sonoma and Carmel valleys with our Vines to Vino trip, Alexander Valley Vineyards was personally my favorite wines!  

The reasons for this run the gamut from the price point (most wines are under $20, and even their reserve wines are under $100) to their dedication to the environment through green winemaking to the Wetzel family living on the actual property and experiencing the winery day to day to the taste (deliciousness in all forms!). 

So if you’re looking for a great bottle of wine for a holiday party or gift we HEART AVV; Why don’t you?!?

(They are also running a special holiday deal at the moment where shippingis only $1)  Some of our favorites include:

2012 marks 35 years of Sin Zin at Alexander Valley Vineyards.  Their first vintage in 1978 was a family wine, which they bottled and shared with family and friends.  It was so popular they decided to make it a tradition!  This wine is 100% Zinfandel with aromas of spice, black pepper, dark fruits, and vanilla.   It’s a versatile wine that works great with anything from the casualness of pizza (pepperoni or Vegan) to the formalness of roasted turkey and grilled filet mignon. 
Miss Jovane Marie w/ some Sin Zin

2012 Temptation Zinfandel ($14)
This wine is my favorite of the Wicked Weekend (which includes the aforementioned Sin Zin, Temptation Zin, and finally Redemption Zin)!  A medium bodied wine that is full of the fruit forward flavors of plum, strawberry, cherries, and black pepper.  Plus with at $14 price tag this wine is an absolute bargain!

The Alexander Valley Vineyards estate is bordered by the Russian River Valley and since 1975 they have showcased this location with their Estate Chardonnay.   They harvest 70% of their Chardonnay grapes at night when the grapes are cool to retain their natural acidity.  They then cold ferment those lots in stainless steel without malolactic fermentation or barrel aging to highlight the citrus and green apple flavors. The other 30% is barrel fermented to give a hint of oakness to this rich white wine.

AVV’s Gewürz wine is harvested exclusively from a single small CCOF (“California Certified Organic Farmers”) vineyard about one hour north of the Alexander Valley Vineyards  estate, located in Mendocino’s cool growing region of Potter Valley.  This rugged location is the key to the great acidity of their Gewurztraminer grapes!   This wine is a refreshing glass of tropicalness with flavors of grapefruit, pear and minerality!  

No comments:

Post a Comment