Just finished rereading Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma (although is it really rereading if you only got through 15 of a 400 plus page book the first time around?).
Scary eye opening stuff; Scary enough that I recommend every person and their brother (or sister) pick up a copy.
Below are some scary figures that it would be great to bring up at your next family dinner (I swear you’ll totally super super popular mention any of these factoids in conversation.)
- 3 in 5 Americans is overweight: 1 in 5 is obese.
- Since 1977 American’s average daily intake has jumped by more than 10% (an additional 200 calories).
- The Food and Drug Administration ban on feeding ruminant protein to ruminants makes an exception for blood products and fat.” (which means that most of the meat you eat are cannibals dining on other cows in the form of tallow from the slaughterhouse).
- There are 45,000 items in the average American supermarket and more than a quarter of them (11,250 items) now contain Corn.
- The typical Iowa farmer is selling Corn for a dollar less than it costs him to grow it.
- The longer the ingredient label on the food, the more fractions of Corn and Soybeans you will find in it.
- 19% of America’s meals are eaten in the car.
The Edible Skinny
Post a Comment