Monday, January 11, 2016

Upgrade Yourself Science Wise with the Bulletproof Diet Cookbook


By Omid Vojdani
Edible Skinny Health and Wellness Editor


As a personal trainer who taught himself to cook, I understand nutrition now, but it wasn’t always that way. I spent the last five years going through many different diets and seeing what would work for me. Many of them were too strict, and others were just weird (I’m looking at you raw vegans). Some diets just plain made me feel low energy all the time, but were supposedly ‘healthy.’ 

Which means I get it when clients come to me confused, quoting conflicting news articles and way too much bro science about nutrition. How does anyone start to understand it all? Well, it all started for me when I came across a video of some silly guy putting butter in his coffee, promising unlimited energy, mental agility, and even a six pack without working out! Already having tried many diets and disliking most of them, I gave it a go, and became hooked on The Bulletproof Diet.

Pioneered by Dave Asprey (that silly guy in the video), the Bulletproof Diet focuses first and foremost on getting enough healthy fats into the body to not only help us lose weight and turn off food cravings, but also turn on our brain and mitochondria (what gives us energy through the day). On top of that, this diet also recommends a minimum of 6 servings of veggies a day, and upwards of 11 if you can. Dave believes that food should be something that not only tastes good, but also makes us feel the best that we can, not rob us of energy and give us crashes through the day. Through the last two years being Bulletproof, I’ve resorted to personal research, the Bulletproof Forums, and many failed experiments in the kitchen in attempts to feel like a million bucks. I quickly discovered that certain foods dubbed healthy by the American Medical Association (I’m looking at you, quinoa) led me to feeling lethargic and ‘hangry.’ After exhaustive online research and many a spreadsheet, I hit my stride, finding out that Dave Asprey really does deliver on all he promised with his revolutionary diet. I started leaning out without changing my workout regiment (hello abs without crunches), raising my mental clarity and even kicking my addiction to coffee (yup, one cup for all day energy).

In December, Dave Asprey finally released his Bulletproof Diet Cookbook. Now, I can tell my clients they can skip the five years of experimenting and exhaustive spreadsheets, and simply select any of the 125 Bulletproof recipes cleanly detailed out in the book. Recipes like: Steamed Artichokes with Salmon and Vinaigrette, or Cauliflower-Bacon Mash. Do you like rice, but always heard it’s too many carbs? There is a recipe and simple instructions to make low carb rice with honey. Like sweets? How about Bulletproof blueberry Gelato (only need a blender and an ice cube tray).

If you haven’t heard of the Bulletproof Diet before, or are new to nutrition, the first 50 pages of this cookbook is a beautifully written summary of how it works, and even tips for eating Bulletproof on the road. It gets scientific (yay science!), but Dave does a great job of boiling down the science into easy to understand and digest vocabulary and analogies. The book also has beautiful color picture of many of the 125 recipes.

I look forward to trying many of the recipes I haven’t had a chance to try yet, and if our readers would like, I can write up specific recipes with detailed pictures and grocery costs. But for now, just know that the Bulletproof Diet is all about using our food to make us perform better, kick more butt in life, and eliminate food cravings for good!









No comments:

Post a Comment