By Kelly Grace Thomas
California Market, a gem of a restaurant, tucked away at Hyatt Carmel Highlands is the perfect place for a leisurely lunch or brunch with friends. Built with breathtaking views of the Big Sur and Yankee Point, California Market offers a sophisticated and savory selections to be enjoyed on their open air redwood deck or snuggled inside by their cozy fireplace. Because there are so many wonderful things about this place, seriously, we could go on and on and on and on…. We want to give you, our fabulous readers, the top ten highlights of California Market
Top Ten Reasons Edible Skinny loves California Market
10. They’re latte that looks like layer cake. Edible Skinny noticed this deliciously decorative drink as it was being carried across the restaurant, it looked like the prettiest liquid tiramisu like decadence you’ve ever seen, in a glass. We just had to try it, fortunately they were able to give us coconut milk instead of whole milk. Even with our slight substitutions, it was caffeinated luxury.
9. They respect the vegetarians. Kat Thomas, editor-in-chief is Edible’s resident vegetarian. And while she eats lots of delicious food, sometimes her options are more limited, especially during brunch. Kat was excited to start the day California Market’s Zucchini & Cheese Frittata made with Gruyere, Goat, & White Cheddar Cheese, Tomato & Onion, Ciabatta Toast. A light and healthy option that was heavy on health.
8. They know how to make a real salad. When it comes to salads, restaurants have a tendency to go to extremes. We have all seen the garden salad with one cherry tomato or the chicken finger explosion covered in ranch. California Market is still health focused without skimping on flavor. We were delightfully surprised by how refreshing and satisfying their Seared Ahi Salad with Tatsoi, Haricot Vert, Chopped Romaine, Mandarin Oranges, Enoki Mushrooms, Pickled Ginger Vinaigrette was. We also sampled their Monterey Salad with Shrimp, Jack Cheese, Cucumber, Avocado, Tomatoes, Pickled onions, House Vinaigrette but substituted Grilled Portabello Mushrooms for Shrimp. It was “light and fresh like something you should eat a la piscine, in France,” said Kat.
7. The fact that Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt had lunch here after they got engaged, according to Shelly Rodriguez, Catering and Events Manager. And who could blame them? California Market is the perfect romantic backdrop to celebrate life’s most precious moments.
6. Server Tony Lorenz! Our server Tony Lorenz delivered excellent service. Knowledgeable and friendly, Tony went above and beyond sharing details about the dishes, hotel and Monterey’s wildlife. In the past Tony worked as a Naturalist for Monterey Bay Whale Watch where he invited us to whale watch the following afternoon. Thanks, Tony!!! Best whale watching ever, Monterey’s marine life is something of a marvel.
5. The bacon. Oh the bacon... I am somewhat of a bacon connoisseur. Applewood, Hickory Smoked, Maple. You name it, I love it. The Hyatt Highlands side of bacon served with breakfast was the perfect savory compliment to our delicious Point Lobos dish. It was thick and plump, with a depth of flavor without being too rich. An A+
4. Point Lobos. Perhaps the most decadent thing we have sampled before 9am. Point Lobos Dungeness Crab, Avocado, & Cilantro, English Muffin with Hollandaise. The light refreshing crab mixed with the rich and creamy hollandaise is the perfect combination to pamper your palette.
3. The insta-vacation effect. Today we all lead such stressful jobs. And sometimes it is difficult to unwind. California Market is an instant vacation, after five minutes on their deck staring at the view and sipping their delicious Carneros Chardonnay by Rombauer Vineyards and you’ll think, “Stress? What stress?”
2. The indoor/outdoor versatility. Some of us love the sunshine of the outdoors, the feel of salt air in our lungs, the breeze in our hair. While others love to snuggle up next to a fire and lazily sip coffee as we read the newspaper. California Market is the best of both worlds, you can dine with any backdrop of your choosing enjoying both beauty and comfort.
1. The view, how that pacific sparkles. When we stepped out on their deck, where we enjoyed both breakfast and lunch, I couldn’t help but hold my breath for a minute. This type of beauty stops you mid sentence sometimes, it is that powerful. It is rare that you get to dine this closely to nature, in all its awe and power. California Market has so many beautiful and delicious opportunities to soak in.
Thank you, California Market, for proving as always, life is delicious.
For more information about California Market visit http://highlandsinn.hyatt.com/en/hotel/dining/CaliforniaMarket.html